Toughened safety glass is used to describe glass that has undergone a thermal process to increase the strength of the annealed glass. Toughened safety glass is used for its increased strength, which allows it to resist wind loads, temperature gradients, and impacts.
In addition to Toughened safety glass, IGM-Alliance offers heat soaking which is a thermal process designed to potentially expose the nickel metal sulphide (NiS) inclusions in glass. While the process does not fully eliminate the potential for spontaneous breakage, it is designed to significantly decrease the likelihood.
Glass Market Limited offers both heat-strengthened and toughened safety glazing options. Heat-strengthened glass is defined as having roughly twice the strength of annealed glass. When broken, it will fragment similarly to annealed glass but into fewer pieces. Heat-strengthened glass is not suitable for safety glazing unless manufactured as a laminated safety glazing material.
Fully toughened safety glass is described as having roughly four times the strength of annealed glass. When broken, it will shatter into small pieces. This reduces the likelihood of serious injury in the event of breakage. For this reason, fully toughened safety glass is defined as a safety glazing materials by international glazing safety standards.
Glass Market Limited can where requested by our client’s heat soak toughened safety glazing materials in accordance with EN 14179-1:2016.
- Maximum glass size: 5000mm x 2440mm
- Minimum glass size: 300mm x 100mm
- Glass thickness range: 4mm....19mm
- Heat strengthening thickness range: 4mm....12mm
- Heat soaking thickness range: 4mm....19mm
Control of flatness or overall bow:
- 4mm nominal thickness - 3mm per 1000mm
- 5mm nominal thickness - 2mm per 1000mm
- 6mm to 19mm nominal thickness - 1.5mm per 1000mm
Control of roller wave distortion flat glass:
- 4mm - 19mm nominal thickness - less than 0.03mm
Control of edge lift float glass:
- 4mm - 5mm nominal thickness - less than 0.04mm
- 6mm - 19mm nominal thickness - less than 0.03mm
You must ensure that your measurements are correct before we make the glass. Once toughened glass cannot be altered in any way. For any other questions please contact by email or call, Glass Market Limited. Our friendly staff will be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.
- a. The distance from the edge of the glass to the edge of the hole must be at least 1.5 times the thickness of 4mm to 6mm glass, or 2.0 times the thickness of 8mm to 19mm glass.
- b. The distance from the edge of glass to the edge of the hole must be 4 times the glass thickness.
- c. The minimum hole diameter is the thickness of the glass. The maximum diameter of the hole must not exceed 33% of the panel measurement at the narrowest point.
- d. The distance between holes and cut-outs, and/or edge of the glass panel must be at least 4 times the glass panel thickness.
- e. The minimum depth of cut-outs must be 2 times the glass panel thickness.
- f. The minimum size is 2 times the glass panel thickness.
- g. The minimum size e/2.
- h. The minimum size f/2.